If you like to sleep a lot while you travel, then having a travel pillow can be very beneficial. These pillows are also called neck pillows since you put them around your neck.
Because a traditional pillow can be inconvenient to carry and uncomfortable to lie on because of its shape, the neck pillow is your best friend when you’re on the road. It is small, so it does not take up much space in your bag or luggage. In addition, it helps you sleep comfortably in the car or plane.
There are a lot of neck pillows available in stores for you to choose from. They vary in size and color as well as the materials used. But if you want a personal touch and want to learn something new, you can make your own neck pillow!
DIY Neck Pillow: How to Make a Neck Pillow
You will need:
- Pillow pattern – most likely, a horseshoe pattern which you can find online
- Fabric – about ½ yards
- Sewing needle – to do hand-stitching
- Uncooked rice, herbs, and other surprising ingredients to be found out later!
Now, here are the easy steps on how to make a neck pillow:
- Draw the shape of a horseshoe on a tracing paper. Your pattern must be at least 6 inches wide or 15.24 cm to give enough space for seam allowances. Also, it should reach your neck while giving extra space of 1¼ inches or 3.175 cm.
- Fold the fabric in half and make sure that the right sides stay together. Use softer textiles so that the finished product feels more comfortable around your neck. Soft knits or flannels are also good options. If you opt to use denims or cottons, wash them first to get rid of the sizing before you make your neck pillow.
- Place the pattern on the fabric and pin them together. Afterward, cut the pattern out.
- Take the tracing paper pattern out, but make sure the fabric pieces stay pinned altogether. Then stitch around the cushion as you leave one of the short ends exposed.
- Cut the seams to ¼ inches or 0.64 cm, then turn your pillow with the correct side facing outward.
- Now here is the fun part! Mix herbs and uncooked rice together to serve as filling in the neck pillow. If you want a calming blend perfect for sleeping, add a cup of chamomile flowers and dried lavender to the rice and herbs. If you want an energizing blend, add ¼ cup of cinnamon cloves and chips. You can also add a cup of dried peppermint leaves.
- Pour the said mixture into your neck pillow and stop at 2 inches or 5.08 cm from the top.
- Fold the extra seam you left exposed. Hand-stitch to close it.
See? It was easy, right? Even if the process was not flawless, it was doable. But what if you do not have time to make your own neck pillow?
Is there something else that can serve the same purpose as your neck pillow? Well, did you know you can use your hoodie? Yes, you read that right, your hoodie!
To start off:
- Place your hoodie face-down on a flat surface.
- Do the standard clothing fold on one side, which is to fold one side over and bring the sleeve down.
- Do the same on the other side. Your hoodie should look straight and neatly aligned.
- Fold it into two sections. Start from the bottom where you fold one end shortly, then tightly fold the rest all the way. If you want it to be somewhat loose, do not fold it too tightly.
- Take the hood part and use it to cover the lower portion you folded.
- Flip it over and push the folded part into the hood.
- Pull the hoodie strings tightly.
And there you have it! It may not go around your neck, but this DIY hoodie pillow can still serve you well. If you don’t have time to do this, just look for any soft thing that you can use to lay your head on.
However, it may not give the comfort that a neck pillow could provide.
The good thing though is that now, you have a lot of options. You can buy a neck pillow or you can create your own since you already know how to make a neck pillow. Let your creativity flow and you will have lots of fun!