As the world becomes more fast paced, an increasing number of people are taking sleep for granted and thinking they can live without it. However, getting adequate sleep is important to function properly. No matter how busy you are, getting at least eight hours of sleep every night should be a priority.
Sleep deprivation can have negative effects, from something as simple as being tired and cranky to serious health problems like heart disease and high blood pressure.
The quality of sleep is just as important as the hours you spend resting, so you need to make sure that you are sleeping well at night, especially when traveling. Studies show that a good neck pillow helps improve the quality of sleep even when on a tiring trip.
Your regular pillow, while it could keep you comfortable, would not be suitable enough to rid your body of poor posture and/or pain.
What to Look for in a Neck Pillow: A Buying Guide
There are a lot of neck pillows sold in furniture shops and specialty stores, but most of them only focus on the aesthetic and design of the pillows instead of the quality of the materials used. Most of them are cheaply made and are designed only to give you a false sense of security.
It is important to look for the right neck pillow that will actually help you sleep better and reduce back and body pain.
What are the different types of neck pillow?
Inflatable neck pillows are typically U-shaped and, as the name suggests, can be blown up to how firm you prefer your neck pillow to be. Because of their small size, they are a good option for travelers who prefer to pack light.
Since they can be easily deflated and folded into the smallest size possible, they don’t take a lot of space in your carry-on. There are also ones that come with a cover so that the travel pillow mimics the comfort of your regular pillow at home.
A downside is that it can accidentally deflate while you are sleeping if you forget to seal the pillow properly. However, they are the most affordable type and are definitely convenient to use.
These are neck made of high-density memory foam and give the most firm, yet comfortable neck support that you can get from a travel pillow. Memory foam pillows are also convenient to take with you when traveling because they can be compressed to a smaller size and kept in your bag or luggage.
You can be the most comfortable on a long flight or car ride with a memory foam neck pillow for consistent firmness and support. The memory foam adapts to the shape of your neck yet remains firm and doesn’t slide down.
While it’s a little more costly than the other types of neck pillows, this is the most comfortable and worth the money.
Another type of neck pillow that adapts to the shape of your neck for a more comfortable resting position is the microbead. They are U-shaped and filled with small polystyrene beads, so the pillow changes shape according to your every move.
While this seems nice in theory, microbead neck pillows tend to be the least comfortable because they don’t stay high on the neck and they don’t have enough firmness to provide adequate support.
The fabric that they usually come with may also stretch over time because of the beads constantly traveling and filling out unpressurized areas of the pillow, making it impractical for long term use.
|BCOZZY Chin Supporting Travel Pillow||$$$||4.5/5|
|Travelmate Memory Foam Neck Pillow||$||4.0/5|
|World’s Best Feather Soft Microfiber Neck Pillow||$||4.3/5|
|Travelrest Therapeutic Memory Foam Travel & Neck Pillow||$||4.4/5|
|Trtl Neck Support Travel Pillow||$$$||4.3/5|
|Everlasting Comfort 100% Pure Memory Foam Neck Pillow||$$||4.8/5|
|World’s Best Feather Soft Microfiber Neck Pillow||$||4.3/5|
|NEW CABEAU Memory Foam “Evolution Pillow”||$$$||4.4/5|
|Cloudz Microbead Travel Neck Pillow||$$||4.3/5|
|Push-Button Inflatable Daydreamer Neck Pillow||$$||4.5/5|
The 5 Best Neck Pillows
To help you find the right neck pillow for you, we gathered the top 5 neck pillows in the market right now, tested and reviewed them. Here are our final thoughts.
BCOZZY Chin Supporting Travel Pillow
If you need a travel pillow that not only supports your neck but your chin as well, look no further. This BCOZZY travel pillow wraps all the way around your neck and provides a nice, firm support so your head doesn’t nod off as you sleep.
It’s comfortable yet firm so you don’t need to worry about having to find the perfect position for sleeping on a long flight or car ride.
- The only neck pillow that prevents your head from falling forward as you sleep
- Has a patented ergonomic shape that gives all around comfort to your head, neck, and chin, all at the same time
- The best for airplane flights
- Customizable for maximum comfort and quality napping
- Excellent for all forms of travel
- Enables you to sleep in any sitting position or any vehicle
- Crafted for a relaxed and pleasurable sleep even while at home
- Compact and easy to store
- Available in two sizes: for children and adults
- Fully machine washable
- Comes with a snap strap for easy attachment to luggage
- Soft yet supportive
- You can fold it for extra cushion
- Supports the head, neck, and chin at the same time
- Comes with a strap for attaching to your bag
- Adaptable to any sitting position
- Prevents stiff necks
- No more nodding off as you sleep
- Comes in two sizes for children and for adults
- Can also be used at home
- No hassle to clean after several uses because it’s machine washable
- Having the pillow wrapped around your neck can feel confining and uncomfortable at first, so it takes some getting used to
This is one of the most comfortable travel pillows we have ever tried. No more stiff necks or head falling forward while you’re sleeping on the plane or in a car because it wraps around your neck and gives a thick cushion and something to prop on for your chin as well.
It’s also easy to travel with since it’s attachable to your luggage or carry-on. You just have to get used to it since it’s wrapped around your neck and that can feel a little constricting.
Travelmate Memory Foam Neck Pillow
This simple U-shaped neck pillow uses thermo-sensitive memory foam to give you the best sleep you can ever have while traveling. It’s designed to adapt to the shape of your neck and your movements so you are comfortable yet supported no matter what position you are in. You can easily customize it to the perfect thickness you want.
- Newly released and improved version
- Comes with a built-in removable insert for thickness adjustment; you can customize your travel pillow based on your preference
- Supports your neck and head in perfect alignment
- Sleep soundly even while you are on a long, tiring plane ride
- Made only with top quality memory foam that molds perfectly to the shape of your neck
- Zippered plush velour cover that is machine washable
- Built-in elastic strap for attaching to a carry-on
- The best pillow for travel
- Works well to support those with neck issues
- Soft cover that adds to the comfort the pillow provides
- The memory foam is dense and firm enough to keep its shape, even after using it for a long time
- Can be used anywhere – at home, while on the plane, or while driving
- Makes for a really comfortable sleep no matter what sleeping position you are in
- Holds your neck in place
- Doesn’t make your head bounce off of the pillow
- Easy to pack because it is foldable to a smaller size
- Can be adjusted to your preferred thickness
- Convenient to bring to trips
- Pillow cover is removable and machine washable
- Provides excellent support
- The memory foam becomes hard when left in a cold place
- The elastic strap is not very secure for attaching to your luggage
This is a good neck pillow, not just for traveling but for use at home as well, especially if you are suffering or recovering from neck problems. The memory foam is comfortable yet firm enough to hold and support the head and neck so that it doesn’t make your head bounce on bumpy car rides.
However, you have to be careful when attaching it to your bag with the elastic strap since it’s not very secure, but you can easily pack it in your luggage because it is foldable to a smaller size.
World’s Best Feather Soft Microfiber Neck Pillow
This neck pillow from World’s Best offers consistent and gentle support for a better traveling experience whether you are on a train, a plane, or in a car.
The hypoallergenic pillow is filled with feather-soft micro fibers that are perfectly machine washable. It’s great for travel, for use at home, or for therapeutical purposes.
- Made of 100% microfiber
- Feather-soft micro fiber fill provides the best support and durability
- Comes in a super-soft fabric that gives a plush and indulgent feeling
- The pillow itself is machine washable
- Hypoallergenic and safe for all users
- Made in the USA and imported
- Available in different colors and styles
- It’s great for long plane rides
- It feels comfortable to sleep on even during a long, tiring trip
- The entire pillow is machine washable and not just the cover
- Comes with snaps to attach to your bag or luggage
- Soft, high-quality fabric
- Good colors and patterns
- Gives just the right amount of support to the neck and head
- Gives support to those who have neck and back problems
- Great for both children and adults
- Clips on the front for travel and storage
- May be a little too thick for some people
This neck pillow is hypoallergenic and safe for everyone and remains soft even after washing. You can wash the whole pillow and not just the cover.
It’s soft and comfortable yet still firm enough to give adequate support for people who are suffering from neck and back problems. It’s also easy to travel with since it clips on the front.
Travelrest Therapeutic Memory Foam Travel & Neck Pillow
This Travelrest Neck Pillow is designed to provide the best comfort you can have while traveling. It’s made of high-quality thermo-sensitive memory foam that adapts and molds to the shape of your neck and shoulders when sleeping, whether you are lying down or sitting.
It is covered with a microfiber fabric that feels plush and soft and is removable for machine washing.
- Designed for therapeutic purposes
- Made with special thermo-sensitive memory foam for optimal neck, shoulder, and head support
- It’s great for traveling and home use; you can use it while working at your computer or watching TV too
- The memory foam is developed by NASA to adapt perfectly to your neck and shoulders
- Offers maximum support to those who suffer from chronic pain in the neck or back
- The microfiber cover is easily removable for machine washing
- Made with an adjustable drawstring for customizable fit
- Comes with an elastic that easily attaches to luggage and bag handles for portability
- Fits the neck and shoulder perfectly
- Offers great support to the neck and head
- Soft and plush yet firm enough for holding the neck in place
- The elastic easily attaches to bags when traveling
- The drawstring makes it easy to customize the fit of the neck pillow
- No more stiff necks or head nodding off while sleeping
- Allows you to have a more comfortable resting time during flights or car rides
- We’re not too pleased with the quality of the cover as it ripped at the seams
The Travelrest Therapeutic Memory Foam Pillow is truly made for a comfortable and therapeutic traveling experience. It has just the right amount of give for something that is designed to provide support to the neck and the back, and it stays in place while sleeping.
It’s great for use anywhere, even at home, and is small enough for bringing along to trips. However, the fabric cover is not that good in terms of quality.
Trtl Neck Support Travel Pillow
This neck and travel pillow from Trtl is scientifically proven to provide good support to the neck during travels. It holds the head in a better position as you sleep even during a particularly bumpy car ride.
It’s designed to prevent stiff neck, sore shoulders and helps sufferers of chronic body pain.
- A scientifically proven neck support pillow
- Holds the neck in the best position during rest and sleep
- Designed to be better than the traditional U-shaped travel pillow
- Healthier alternative to U-shaped neck pillows
- Soft, warm, and comfortable
- Smaller than a traditional travel pillow and is better for travel because it weighs only 148 grams
- Can be attached easily to luggage
- Small and very light – great for traveling
- Prevents your head from falling forward when you are asleep
- Doesn’t push your head forward when you lean on it
- Keeps your mouth from hanging open
- Does not slowly deflate unlike inflatable neck pillows
- Does not make you hot and uncomfortable but still stays warm
- Prevents body pain
- Can be hooked to the handles of your bag/anywhere you want
- It’s just like a scarf but helps you get a comfortable sleep and supports your body
- The cloth is machine washable
- It comes in nice colors for stylish wear
- The cloth has a nice texture
- It would be great if it came in different sizes to fit different people
- It doesn’t fold flat
The Trtl Pillow is one of the best neck pillows we have tried. It looks just like a scarf and almost feels like it, but it holds the neck and head in place for support and is great for covering your mouth while sleeping.
Say goodbye to stiff necks and back pain because of this cozy yet supportive neck pillow that’s like any other U-shaped travel pillow. However, it’s better for shorter people as it can be a little too small for people taller than 5’5”.
Which is the best neck pillow?
Out of all the five neck pillows we tested and reviewed, we decided that the best one was the BCOZZY Chin Supporting Travel Pillow, closely followed by the Travelmate Memory Foam Travel Pillow. The BCOZZY pillow is not your traditional U-shaped pillow, and is designed to protect and support the head and the neck well.
It wraps around your neck to give you the cozy, comfortable feeling that you usually get from a scarf even while traveling, and it’s certainly the best for preventing stiff neck and back pain from sitting down for a long time.
The Travelmate travel pillow, on the other hand, is the traditional U-shaped pillow yet it’s not like anything else. It adapts to the contours of your neck seamlessly, thanks to the memory foam, and it’s still firm enough to hold your neck and head in place.
That’s everything you need and want from a nice, high-quality neck pillow!